Becoming a Recognized Education Provider Organization
Steps to Becoming a Recognized Education Provider Organization
There are qualifications needed to apply for approval as a Recognized Education Provider Organization (REP Org). The application assesses both the curriculum and the instructors. It is thoroughly reviewed by the Education Committee using the Education Standards for S4OM Foundational Courses. This review process ensures consistent standards are applied to each REP Org.
All instructors of a REP Org agree to maintain their Preferred Practitioner (PP) status, thereby committing to the Standards Of Practice For Preferred Practitioners.
A S4OM Foundational Course instructs massage therapists about the basics of providing massage therapy in a safe, ethical, and appropriate manner for those living with cancer. Each REP Org develops a unique curriculum which must include:
- understanding the disease of cancer
- basic knowledge of common medical treatments
- appropriately adapting massage therapy as a result of treatment and disease side effects
- clinical learning opportunities that allow for hands-on practice and supervision
In addition to Foundational Courses, many REP Organizations teach Supplemental Courses.
- Approval and recognition of Foundational Course curriculum by S4OM which meets the Education Standards for S4OM Foundational Courses
- Membership in S4OM, an international organization that adheres to standards of oncology massage education based on clinical knowledge, practical experience, and evidence-based research
- Inclusion in an international community of oncology massage educators
- Enhanced visibility of Foundational and Supplemental courses through the S4OM website
- Access to S4OM resources, which include:
- Marketing resources
- Dedicated communication platforms
- Educator Forums
The intention of the Education Standards for S4OM Foundational Courses is to provide an outline of the required elements of a S4OM recognized Foundational Course. A Foundational Course is meant to teach massage therapists the basics of providing massage therapy in a safe, ethical, and appropriate manner for those diagnosed with cancer.
Review the complete Education Standards for S4OM Foundational Courses by clicking on the link below.
We welcome you to apply to be a Recognized Education Provider Organization (REP Org) if your oncology massage course meets the Education Standards for S4OM Foundational Courses. Please follow the steps outlined below:
- Review the instructions for the S4OM REP Org Application to ensure that your course meets all criteria and familiarize yourself with the necessary documents to include with the application.
- Ensure each of your instructors who will teach the Foundational Course is a current Preferred Practitioner with S4OM.
- Identify a Contact Person (CP) within your organization. Their responsibility is to oversee the application process and act as the ongoing communication point person with the S4OM Education Committee.
- Ensure each instructor who teaches the Foundational Course completes the S4OM Instructor Application. In addition to maintaining their Preferred Practitioner status, instructor requirements also include teaching experience, professional massage experience, and hands-on experience massaging people living with cancer.
Ready to get started:
- Review the Education Standards for S4OM Foundational Courses
- Review the Instructions for the REP Org Application
- Ensure each of your instructors are approved S4OM Preferred Practitioners
Ready to apply:
Applications are available in a fillable .pdf format. Please contact [email protected] if you have issues downloading the applications.
- Complete the REPOrg and Foundational Course Application
- Complete the Instructor Application (for each instructor)
Still have questions, please contact the Education Committee for support: [email protected]