Call for Posters/Presentations
5th Oncology Massage Healing Summit
Northwestern Health Sciences University, Bloomington, MN
Apr 27 – 28, 2018
A Call for Posters is being issued for presentation at the 5th Oncology Massage Healing Summit. You are invited to present a poster of your recent research project related to oncology massage.
History: The poster sessions are an integral component of the Oncology Massage Healing Summit. They allow us to bring research to the exhibit hall floor in a professional and educational manner. In 2007 over 175 oncology massage therapists and faculty attend this first time event developed by Gayle MacDonald and Tina Ferner in Toledo, Ohio. Since then we have gathered at Northwestern Health Science University in 2010, 2013, 2016. Our last event brought more than 300 participants from around the world. In 2018 we expect an even greater global representation.
Registration: You are responsible for transporting your poster to and from the Summit. All presenters are required to register for the 2018 Summit at their own expense as we are unable to give registration discounts. If you are unable to attend personally, another member of your research team can bring the poster. Please register at http://www.nwhealth.edu/oncology-massage-summit/
Shipping: Alternately, you can ship the poster for our staff to display on your behalf. All posters and materials can be shipped five (5) days before the conference, or can be brought by the presenter if he/she plans to be present.
Ship your materials – five (5) days before the conference:
Northwestern Health Sciences University
Attn: Betsy Bohl, Continuing Ed Dept.
2501 West 84th Street
Bloomington, MN 55431
The suggested poster size is 4' x 6'. Poster materials should be of the size and type that will fit within the allotted space and can be secured with either Velcro or masking tape. The poster should present an abstract of the project that includes the following:
- your name and credentials
- organization and location of the project
- project/poster title
- introduction and purpose of the project
- description of the population targeted
- methods, critical results, and discussion of the significance of the outcome
- Poster presenters are also encouraged to make handouts of their abstracts and findings available to attendees.
- Tables and electricity will NOT be available due to space and safety requirements.
Deadlines: Please submit an electronic copy abstract for your poster by January 15, 2018.
Poster review guidelines:
- Does the study address an important problem?
- Relevance for Massage and Bodywork Profession
- Alignment with Massage Therapy Foundation Research Agenda
Scientific and Technical Merit:
- Are the conceptual framework, design, methods, and analyses adequately developed?
- Does the applicant acknowledge any potential problem areas?
- Are the study aims original and innovative
- Is the design well developed and appropriate to the study aims
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why submit a poster?
- Increase the variety of points of view aired at the conference
- Encourage two-way communication
- Allow detailed and esoteric presentations
- Provides a forum for “small” presentations
What else do I need to know?
- Posters are to be set up Friday morning, April 27, 2018 and are to be removed by presenter on Saturday after the last breakout.
- It is helpful to have the presenter available at the poster to interact with conference attendees during breaks and after lunch.
We hope you will consider participating, as your presence will significantly add to the success of our poster sessions and contribute to the dissemination of research to massage practitioners.
Title (limit to 10 words):
Poster Abstract (limit to 100 words)
The abstract should clearly reflect the focus of the poster and will be published in the conference program:
"Celebrating the Oncology Massage Community, Be Inspired and Make Connections", was the main theme of the 2016 Oncology Massage Healing Summit held at Northwestern Health Sciences University in Bloomington, MN.
Speakers from the United States, France, Scotland and Australia covering topics including lymphedema, pediatric oncology, essential oils and cancer care, oncology rehabilitation, research, ethics, music as healing, presence and many more.
S4OM is a 501(c)3 Nonprofit Organization and gratefully appreciates any and all tax deductible donations.