IRENE SMITH PALLIATIVE CARE AWARD CRITERIA AND GUIDELINES
The Irene Smith Palliative Care Award Recognizes and promotes individuals who have made a significant contribution in the field of palliative massage over a minimum of 2 years. The nominee receives their award during the Oncology Massage Healing Summit.
- The survey/application should be submitted online by no later than March 1, of the year of the Oncology Massage Healing Summit.
- Nominations will be reviewed during the first two weeks of March of the year of an Oncology Massage Healing Summit.
- Award notifications will be made no later than March 15 of the year of an Oncology Massage Healing Summit.
Questions regarding the nomination or submission process should be directed to S4OM’s Awards Team via email at [email protected].
- Nominees must be a recognized by the Society for Oncology Massage as a Preferred Practitioner and have shown a commitment to the organization, and its mission and objectives of oncology massage. A nominee’s name may not be submitted posthumously.
- Nominees will be evaluated based upon contributions in the following areas:
- Innovation and Excellence in Palliative Massage, can be documented in terms of the following examples but not limited to, developing new care delivery models that improve patient outcomes, or developing patient interventions that improve outcomes, and modeled excellence of massage.
- Active Involvement in Palliative Massage: Sustained contributions externally on behalf of palliative massage, outside of S4OM and one’s own institution, such as but not limited to active involvement in local, state and/or national massage organizations and other health-related organizations through elected office, committee participation and contributions to program development; and
- Evidence of research and/or creative activities relative to the respective discipline and/or to the quality of patient outcomes that can be documented in terms of publications (number and type), grants or contracts.
- A nomination email and survey will be delivered to all current members of the S4OM community via email no later than February 1 of any year an Oncology Massage Healing Summit is held.
- Nominations may be made by any S4OM affiliate member, including self-nominations and are encouraged from board and committee members from all segments of the Association (e.g., practitioners, educators, committee members and board members).
- The survey will request the following content:
- Contact information for the nominee, including all professional designations.
- A brief explanation of your relationship with the nominee, if any
- A brief reflection on any contributions to palliative care, any contributions to the advancement of the profession of massage and palliative massage specifically, any contributions to leadership/service to Society, local, state and/or national massage organizations and other health-related organizations, on any evidence of research and creative scholarship activities; and on the nominee’s contributions including those endorsements from individuals outside of the nominee’s organization or practice (supporting letters should interpret the impact that the nominee has had on his/her field and palliative/hospice massage and provide evidence of contributions to the advancement of the profession of massage, leadership/service, any evidence of research and creative scholarship activities).
- Share a brief story that demonstrates their innovation or excellence in palliative massage.
- Only nominations received between February 1 – March 1 of the year of an Oncology Massage Healing Summit will be reviewed. Nominations received after March 1 will not be evaluated.
- A group of the nominee’s peers will serve as the Selection Committee and will conduct peer review of nominations in light of the established criteria for the award.
- At the conclusion of the evaluation process, the Selection Committee will select and notify a single recipient.
- The Award will be presented based on qualified applicants only and S4OM reserves the right not to present the Award on a biennial basis at the Oncology Massage Healing Summit.
FURTHER INFORMATION REQUIRED FROM NOMINEE
The nominee will be asked to submit a Résumé (CV) detailing education, appointments, activities, memberships, awards and honors, and other relevant data.